Podofilox helps eliminate certain types of warts on the skin of the genital areas, vulva or penis. It is an antimitotic agent which works by stopping the growth of cells that cause genital warts. Limiting cell division eliminates the potential growth of genital warts. But, the exact mechanism of how it kills the warts are not known. Generally, when Podofilox is applied on to the wart, cell death begins to occur within 24 hours and the slogging off of the wart begins after 72 hours of application. Podophyllotoxin gel is used to treat warts that commonly occur between the rectum and the genitals, but not the lotion. However, neither forms can be used to treat warts that occur inside the vagina, vulva, penis, or the rectum.
Important information before using Podofilox cream
A paper with instructions and information on the correct use of Podofilox gel will be provided to the user along with the medication. Before using this medication, the leaflet should be read carefully. If any additional information is required, it should be clarified with a health care provider.
As instructed earlier, the medication is intended to be used for topical skin warts, and should be kept away from eyes and mucous membranes like inside the vagina, penis, and rectum. If contact occurs, it should be washed immediately with cold water and consulted with the doctor immediately.
Podofilox solution should be used topically on the warts in the morning and in the evening once for three consecutive days followed by a four day rest period. During this period, if the warts do not clear up, then it should be repeated up to four times. If the warts do not disappear even after 4 weeks of treatment then, health care provider should be consulted immediately for any further action. This is because; the safety and effectiveness of this drug for more than 4 treatment weeks have not been established so far.
The quantity of medicine used on warts should neither be less or more, but exactly as stated in the instruction leaflet. Using more of Condylox will not make it work better, but can create certain side effects on the body. Patients treated with Condylox gel should avoid unprotected sex. Also, it should be kept in mind that it is not a complete cure for genital warts and it does not protect the person from STD’s.
It can cause skin irritation, itching, burning, pain, and skin ulcers. But, these side effects decrease with time of treatment. Also, its safety during pregnancy has not been established so far.
How is it used
- Wash and dry hands and genitals thoroughly before applying the medication.
- The size of the wart should be checked, and if it is bigger than 1.6 square inches, then get advice from your doctor before use.
- An applicator will be provided along with the medication. One can use the applicator or a cotton swab to apply the medicine on the affected areas. However, when an applicator is used, it is important to have a new, clean one for each application. Podophyllotoxin gel can also be used with the help of fingers too.
- Avoid getting the medication to contact with healthy skin parts. Contact with any healthy skin areas should be cleansed immediately with water. If the warts are seen in skin folds, then the skin area should be allowed to dry after application of the medicine before releasing the skin fold.
- After application of the medication, the applicator has to be disposed and the hands should be washed thoroughly.